for agreeing to offer a session online for the 2021 BWSR Academy and share your knowledge and experience. This page is created for trainers to provide information and resources to support you in your role as a trainer at BWSR Academy.
BWSR Academy Overview
To provide high quality training for local government staff that maintains and improves the delivery of conservation work and meets the shared expectations of BWSR and local resource management boards.
2021 Online BWSR Academy
In response to COVID-19, BWSR has decided to move the Academy to an online format in 2021 using WebEx. Please see “Resources for Trainers” below to learn how BWSR staff will be supporting trainers for preparation before and during the 2021 Academy.
We consider BWSR Academy a training opportunity for local government staff. Academy participants value practical and interactive training that directly supports specific skills and concepts they can apply on the job. To learn more about BWSR Academy priorities and guiding principles, please visit our BWSR Academy page. Training sessions should be designed to engage the audience in their learning rather than simply providing information. WebEx has tools to interact and engage with the audience.
- No registration fees in 2021!
- Reduced schedule.
- Not all session topics can be converted to online training. This year’s sessions were selected based on trainer feedback as to offering their session online. BWSR will offer design assistance for online sessions to the trainers along with WebEx support and online backup.
What’s the same:
- High Quality Training: We are working with each trainer make sure attendees have the same interactive training experience they’ve come to expect from Academy. “Hands-on” might look a little different this year – but we’re learning to adapt.
- The Dates! We still plan to hold Academy from October 26-28th. All sessions will take place in the morning rather than all day. Morning sessions are 90-minute sessions from 8:30 AM-10:00 AM and 10:30 AM-12 noon. We will have up to seven concurrent sessions in each time morning time slot.
Tips for Designing Your Session
- Be sure the content of your training aligns with the title and description you provided in response to the confirmation email that was sent to you on September 2.
- Start with the end in mind by identifying the training goal(s) and the learning objectives to support your goal(s).
- Online sessions should engage the attendees in their learning by being interactive. Examples include the use of case studies, group discussion, WebEx annotate tools and other opportunities to engage the audience in their learning.
- Contact Barbara Radke if you’d like help finding ways to make your online session interactive
- Remember to leave 5 minutes at the end of your session for attendees to complete their Action Plan form.
Resources for Trainers
- Online trainings for using WebEx and for designing effective online trainings will be offered to trainers. Please mark your calendar to attend ONE of these trainings. The first hour of each of these trainings will be training on Effective Online Presentations, and the last half hour will be an opportunity to practice using WebEx. Watch for an email with more details.
- September 23rd from 10:00-11:30 AM,
- September 23rd from 1:30-3:00 PM, and
- September 27th from 10:00-11:30 AM.
- Moderators will be assigned for each Academy session to provide online support during your session. You will be provided the name of your moderator by early October.
- Barbara Radke, BWSR Training Coordinator (contact information below)
Again, thank you for your contribution to making the 2021 Online BWSR Academy our best yet. Our local government partners appreciate your efforts, and we could not do this without you. See you virtually in October!
Questions? Contact Barbara Radke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-884-0442.