Effective Date: 07/01/2017
Many BWSR Grants are distributed in three installments; 50% after execution of the grant agreement, 40% once the grantee has expended the first amount and provided BWSR with documentation of expenditures, and 10% after final requirements are met. This document outlines the requirements for requesting reimbursements or payments. See the Terms of Payment section of the grant agreement to determine if a grant has a reimbursable component.
For grants of $50,000 or more, additional supporting documentation such as purchase orders, receipts and payroll records for financial reconciliation is required, unless a particular grant program is exempt from the Office of Grants Management policies 08-08 and 08-10. Financial reconciliation occurs after a substantial portion (at least 70%) of grant funds have been expended and must be completed prior to payment of the final 10% and grant closeout. BWSR staff may request more detailed financial and project information if grant compliance is unclear or noncompliance is suspected.
Initial Advanced Grant Payments (50% of grant funds)
BWSR allocates the initial payment of grant funds only after:
- A work plan has been completed in eLINK and approved by BWSR staff;
- The grant agreement has been officially executed and the grantee notified to begin work; and
- Grantees are in compliance with all relevant grants management policies for previously-awarded BWSR grants.
Second Advanced Grant Payments (40% of grant funds)
The grantee may request the second installment when:
- The grantee has reported in eLINK that 50% of the grant funds have been expended in accordance with the work plan and submits an eLINK status change.
- An eLINK Financial Report that summarizes expenditures for the first 50% must be signed by the grantee and a scanned copy is emailed to the Board Conservationist. The Financial Report serves as the official request for payment from the grantee to BWSR.
- If the grant award was $50,000 or greater, the grant may need to be reconciled before the payment can be released; grantees should check with their Board Conservationist or Grants Compliance Specialist for applicability of this requirement.
- BWSR authorizes the second advanced payment upon approval of the eLINK reporting, review of the Financial Report, and possibly the grant reconciliation.
Final Grant Reimbursement Requests
The last 10% of reimbursement grants will be paid after the grant project is finished, all final reporting requirements are met, and the grantee has provided BWSR with a documentation of final expenditures. See the Closing Out a Grant section of this manual for details.
Description of revisions
Previously titled Reimbursement Requests. Updated format, removed out-of-date information, and included information about reconciliation.