BWSR has received funding through the Outdoor Heritage Fund (from the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment) for RIM Reserve easements that protect current grasslands or buffer native prairie within wildlife habitat complexes not covered by other conservation programs.
Using the Reinvest in Minnesota (RIM) program, this project will address the potential loss of grassland habitats from conversion to cropland and accelerate grassland protection efforts. Working in coordination with established Prairie Conservation Plan Local Technical Teams (LTTs), this project aims to enroll 500 RIM acres (approximately 6 easements), focusing on Minnesota Prairie Plan-identified landscapes.
- Provide habitat for a wide range of grassland dependent wildlife including endangered plants, birds and butterflies
- Focuses on protecting current remnant or native prairie grasslands and buffering native prairie that are not typically covered by other state and federal programs
Minnesota Prairie Conservation Plan prairie core areas, corridors and agricultural matrix.
Easement Application Materials
- RIM Application Guidance (pdf)
- Easement Acquisition Checklist (pdf)
- Conservation Easement Application Word document (docx)
- RIM Grassland Reserve Application Scoresheet Excel spreadsheet (xlsx)
- Area Assessment Form Word document (docx)
- Conservation Easement Financial Worksheet Excel spreadsheet (xlsx)
- Agreement Information Form Word document (docx)
- W-9 Form (IRS Website)
- Prairie Conservation Plan Strategic Guide (pdf)