Filter strips are an area of herbaceous vegetation that are designed to reduce sediment, suspended solids, nutrients, dissolved contaminants and pathogens from water before the water reaches an environmentally sensitive area such as a stream, lake, drainage ditch or sinkhole. This training will provide a comprehensive overview of the standard and hands on experience with planning and designing a filter strip.
This training session replay on the filter strip standard covers:
- Filter Strip Practice Standard details
- GIS Watershed Tool
- RUSLE2 calculations
- Agronomy Technical Note #2
- Seed mix calculator
- Species characteristics – specific requirements
- Filter Strip Implementation requirements worksheet
Training Replays (Recommended Browser: Chrome)
Filter Strip Training: Part 1 (99 minutes)
Filter Strip Training: Part 2 (70 minutes)
You will need to use your work computer during this training. Programs to be used:
1. ArcMap version 10.5 minimum with the spatial analyst extension
2. RUSLE2 – make sure you have the latest version (184.108.40.206) installed
3. Microsoft Excel to run the Seed mix calculator
- RUSLE2 Training
- Agronomy Technical Note 31 Training (modules 1 through 4)
- Core Competency modules:
Read: Agronomy Technical Note #2. Have Agronomy Technical Note #2 bookmarked or otherwise readily available to reference during the training.
Review: Agronomy Technical Note #31, pages 2-12 and page 23 for filter strip seeding specifications.
2. Have the Filter Strip (CPS393) Practice Standard and Implementation Requirements bookmarked or otherwise readily available to reference during the training. These can be found in the FOTG, Section IV.
3. If you are NOT on a USDA CCE computer, you will need to have the NRCS Engineering toolbox installed on your computer. The NRCS Engineering toolbox can be downloaded from HERE under the CODE button you can download the zip. The tool will run better and faster if its unzipped to a folder on your Computer (not your desktop or a server location) for example --C:\NRCS_GIS_ENGINEERING_TOOLS\
- Filter Strip RUSLE2 file.gdb
- Save this file to: C:\ProgramData\USDA\RUSLE2\NRCS
- Filter Strip Life Span Design for Sediment.xls
- This file can also be found in the FOTC, Section IV, under Ecological Sciences Tools