Local Government Units and Partner Agencies - Overviews of water management duties, related statutes, guidance documents, directories, and more info for Local Government Units that deliver conservation programs and services, along with links to other partner organization websites.
Performance Review and Assistance Program (PRAP)
Through the Performance Review and Assistance Program (PRAP), BWSR staff evaluate water management entities and, where necessary, provide assistance.
The following fact sheets have been prepared by BWSR staff:
- Overview of conservation practices that sequester carbon (March 2010)
- Conservation tillage and carbon sequestration (March 2010)
- Carbon sequestration in forests (March 2010)
- Carbon sequestration in grasslands (March 2010)
- Short summary of scientific literature regarding carbon storage in wetlands (December 2008).
BWSR Drainage page: Drainage Work Group, Drainage Management Team, and related technical information and resources
BWSR Engineering page: Design and engineering services are provided for wetland projects restored through RIM Reserve and the Minnesota Wetland Banking Program. BWSR Engineering and Technical Services staff also assist local units of government in permit decisions related to WCA and develops standards for soil conservation engineering practices.
BWSR Flood Recovery page: Information and resources on flood-recovery efforts of BWSR and partner organizations
- Engineer's Report - Streambank Flood Damage Feasibility Analysis, Kellogg, MN (WHKS report, January 2011)
- Southeast Minnesota Conservation Flood Recovery 2007-2008 (September 2008)
- Southeast Minnesota Flood Recovery - 2009 Progress Report (February 2010)
Many of Minnesota’s 90 Soil and Water Conservation Districts (SWCDs) have active forestry/tree programs to help private landowners manage their resources wisely. The Minnesota Board of Water and Soil Resources helps support these programs by offering training, information, and technical assistance of forestry and agroforestry issues. BWSR also coordinates local programs to ensure an organized statewide effort and works to integrate private forest management / agroforestry programs and activities of other agencies into local SWCD efforts. For more information, see the BWSR Forestry page.
Native Vegetation Establishment
- Native Vegetation Guidance and BWSR Seed Mixes (Updated March 2010)
- Map of Minnesota Ecological Sections and Subsections (Oct. 15, 2009)
- BWSR Native Vegetation Management Policy on lands enrolled in Conservation Easements (Dec. 17, 2008)
BWSR's Pollinator Initiative: the Pollinator Toolbox, peer to peer resources, and more.
Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP) Project: Lower Mississippi River Feedlot Management in Minnesota
The Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP) encourages partners to join in efforts with producers to increase the restoration and sustainable use of soil, water, wildlife and related natural resources on regional or watershed scales. Through this Federal program, USDA-NRCS and its partners help producers install and maintain conservation activities in selected project areas.
The Board of Water and Soil Resources applied to this program for funding and the proposal “Lower Mississippi River Feedlot Management in Minnesota” was selected by NRCS in 2016.
Conservation Practice Resources
Conservation Practice Standards
- NRCS Field Office Technical Guide (FOTG)
- Science-Based Natural Resource Protection and Restoration via Conservation Practices (Article by Al Kean, BWSR Chief Engineer, March 11, 2009)
Urban Stormwater Management
The following sites have education materials and programs about managing surfacewater quality and quantity:
- Clean Water Minnesota
- Center for Watershed Protection
- The Low Impact Development Center
- Project NEMO - Nonpoint Source Pollution Education for Municipal Officials
- Stormwater Program - Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
- Urban Nonpoint Source Resource Sites - EPA
- Urban Small Sites Best Management Practice Manual - Metropolitan Council
Cropland Tillage and Nutrient Management
- Conservation Technology Information Center
- Conservation Tillage – University of Minnesota
- Manure and Odor Education and Research – University of Minnesota
- Soil Nutrient Management – University of Minnesota
- Minnesota Shoreland Management Resource Guide
- University of Minnesota Extension Service - Shoreland Education
Agriculture and Water Quality
Agriculture and Water Quality Report (1985 Report Published by Citizens Panel on Agriculture and Water Quality, a project of the Center for New Democratic Processes -- Posted Nov. 5, 2009 )