- Phase II: Final Assessment Report -- prepared by Barr Engineering (January 2010)
- Phase 1: Final Inventory Report -- prepared by Barr Engineering (January 2009)
Wetland mitigation is often required when a construction project impacts a wetland. Wetland mitigation laws and rules are especially challenging in the 18 northeastern Minnesota counties that have more than 80 percent of their pre-settlement wetlands. In response to these challenges, the Board coordinated the development of the Northeastern Minnesota Wetland Management Strategy. This Strategy was completed in January 2007 and included 5 recommendations:
1) Regional wetland mitigation cooperative.
2) Conduct a regional wetland mitigation inventory.
3) Conduct a regional wetland mitigation siting study.
4) Conduct research on nontraditional wetland mitigation methods.
5) Update the National Wetland Inventory.
The Legislature in 2007 appropriated $375,000 to BWSR to implement two of these recommendations: Conduct a regional wetland mitigation inventory and conduct a regional wetland mitigation siting study. BWSR has contracted with Barr Engineering and Community GIG (Duluth) to complete this project. On July 10, 2008 a “Kick-Off” meeting was held in Grand Rapids to inform key stakeholders of the project plans and to seek their expertise and input. Below are the PowerPoint presentations used at this meeting.