- R!SE: http://www.preventionweb.net/rise/home
- Rockefeller 100 Resilient Cities: http://www.100resilientcities.org/#/-_/
- Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure: https://www.sustainableinfrastructure.org/
- Contact the individual county drainage authority for a listing of and information on public drainage systems in the county.
- See the Drainage page of the BWSR website for annual reports by drainage authorities regarding public drainage buffer strip establishment and inspection.
Drinking Water Protection
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/wmas/index.html for a map and description of any state designated wildlife management areas and any lakes with state designated classifications for game or fish management within the county
- Contact your local DNR Area Fisheries or Wildlife Office (www.dnr.state.mn.us/contact/locator.html) for a map and description of any state designated trout lakes or trout streams within the county, a description of state management plans for fish and wildlife areas, and a list and description of the conclusions and recommendations of biological surveys or reconnaissance studies, where available.
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/trout_lakes/list.html or www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/arule/6264/0050.html for a list of designated trout lakes and streams
- http://dnr.state.mn.us/fishwildlife/index.html for the DNR’s Division of Fish and Wildlife, including news and information as well as public involvement opportunities
- Flood Recovery: http://www.bwsr.state.mn.us/flood_recovery/index.html
- www.fema.gov/ or contact the individual county planning or zoning office for maps showing those areas delineated as floodplain by existing local ordinances or in proposed ordinances that have a due date established by the MDNR or FEMA
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/floodplain, www.mnwatershed.org/ or contact the individual county planning or zoning office for maps of areas with known flooding problems and an estimate of average annual flood damages, if available
- FEMA Mapping Products: http://www.fema.gov/flood-mapping-products#
- FEMA RISK MAP: http://www.fema.gov/risk-mapping-assessment-and-planning-risk-map
- FEMA Levees Program: http://www.fema.gov/fema-levee-resources-library
- USACE National Levee Safety Program: http://www.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/LeveeSafetyProgram.aspx
- USACE Flood Risk Programs: http://www.iwr.usace.army.mil/Missions/FloodRiskManagement/FloodRiskManagementProgram.aspx
- MN DNR Flood Damage Reduction Program: http://dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/flood_damage/index.html
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute: https://training.fema.gov/allhazards/login.aspx?path=/allhazards/videos.aspx
- MN Homeland Security and Emergency Management: https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/hsem/Pages/default.aspx
Geology Conditions and Groundwater Resources
- http://www.mngs.umn.edu/mngeology.htm for maps of known geological conditions, such as karst areas, buried valleys or sand plains that may pose concerns relating to water quality or quantity
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/snas/index.html or www.dnr.state.mn.us/ets/index.html for a map or description of unique features and scenic areas with relationships to water including state designated natural and scientific areas, areas containing county, state, and federal rare and endangered species, and other features such as waterfalls, springs, & historic mills
Groundwater Quality and Resources
- Contact DNR Local Ecological and Water Resources office, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/contact/locator.html, for a list of wells covered by state water appropriation permits, including the location by geographic indicator, amounts of water appropriated, type of use, and aquifer source and for a description of known well interference problems and water use conflicts.
- http://dnr.state.mn.us/waters/data/index.html for information on groundwater levels, water use, pollution sensitivity, and more
- http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/groundwater_section/obwell/waterleveldata.html or contact DNA Waters Observation Well data manager at (651) 297-3902 for a list of state observation wells located in the county, including geographic indicator, unique well number, aquifers measured, years of record, and average monthly levels
- www.pca.state.mn.us/monitoring or www.epa.gov/storet/dbtop.html for a summary of available water quality data, including routinely monitored sites
- https://www.pca.state.mn.us/water/groundwater-monitoring-and-assessment for the MPCA’s groundwater monitoring and assessment data
- http://www.mda.state.mn.us/monitoring for information regarding the MDA’s monitoring and assessment of agricultural chemicals in the environment
- www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/groundwater for information regarding the implications of ground water quality information for present and future water and land uses with emphasis on those with potential health-related impacts and an assessment of those implications
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/groundwater_section/mapping for a map or description of important aquifer systems, confining layers and flow characteristics
- http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/waters/mn_water_supply.pdf for a description of ground and surface water interconnections
- http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/appropriations/wateruse.html for a map of irrigated acreage by geographic indicator.
Land Use/Public Utility
- http://mapserver.lmic.state.mn.us/landuse/ or www.lmic.state.mn.us/projects/aboutlanduse.html for general maps of existing land use
- http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/water/com/ for information from the MDH about community public water supplies
- Contact individual county and city public works departments for maps showing the areas served by storm sewers, sanitary sewers, and public water systems.
- http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/appropriations/index.html for maps of geographic indicators showing the location of community public water supply intakes and wells
Land Ownership and Conservation Easements
- https://gisdata.mn.gov/ for maps showing ownership of local, state, federal, and Indian tribal lands, as well as maps of original vegetation and general topographic relief of watershed units
- Contact BWSR and/or DNR directly for most current information on conservation easements.
- www.pca.state.mn.us/waste/index.html for a map or list of geographic indicator of known closed and open sanitary landfills, closed and operating open dumps, and MN Superfund hazardous waste sites, and summary of available water quality information relating to these sites
- http://climate.umn.edu/HIDENannual/ for a map or list of locations of gauging stations
- http://climate.umn.edu/doc/historical/precip_norm.htm for a map showing isolines of normal annual total precipitation in inches.
- NOAA Atlas 14: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/noaa_atlas_14.html
- Contact DNR Local Ecological and Water Resources office, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/contact/locator.html, for a list of approved shoreland ordinances, and for a list of protected waters and their shoreland classification.
- Contact the individual county or city planning/zoning department for information contained in a specific ordinance.
Soils and Eroding Lands
- Contact local soil and water conservation district or watershed district for a description or map by watershed unit of areas where eroding lands are causing sedimentation problems.
- http://lucy.lmic.state.mn.us/metadata/soilssis.html for a general soils map and description of soils infiltration characteristics, as well as a map of erosion-prone soils
Surface Water Resources
- http://water.usgs.gov for a map of boundaries and flow directions of watershed units and minor watershed units
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/pwi/maps.html and www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/surfacewater_section/damsafety for maps of state protected waters and public drainage ditches, including location of existing dams and control structures
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind for a list of lakes where the state has established ordinary high water levels
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/appropriations for a list of permitted withdrawals from lakes and streams, including the location by geographic indicator, source, use, and amounts withdrawn
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/surfacewater_section/stream_hydro/index.html for a list of lakes and streams for which state protected levels or flows have been established
- www.pca.state.mn.us/water/basins for a map or list of state water quality management classifications for each stream and lake as well as a summary of available lake and stream water quality monitoring data
- USACE Continuing Authorities Programs: http://www.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/ProjectPartnershipAgreements.aspx
- USACE SMART Planning: http://planning.usace.army.mil/toolbox/smart.cfm
- USEPA Healthy Watersheds: http://www.epa.gov/hwp
- Center for Watershed Protection: http://www.cwp.org/
- Red River Basin Decision Information Network: http://www.rrbdin.org/
- Rain to Recreation: http://www.lenexa.com/raintorecreation/index.html
Water-Based Recreation Land
- http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/aboutdnr/reports/scorp_final_3308.pdf to view Minnesota’s State Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/water_access/index.html for DNR public water access maps
- www.dnr.state.mn.us/canoeing/routes.html for maps and description of state or federally designated wild and scenic rivers and state designated canoe and boating routes
Water Management Planning Resources
- Terraserver: http://www.terraserver.com/
- Minnesota Geospatial Commons: https://gisdata.mn.gov/
- NASA Visible Earth: http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/
- DNR Watershed Health Assessment Framework: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/whaf/index.html
- PCA Watershed Information: https://www.pca.state.mn.us/water/watersheds