BWSR grants provide funding to local units of government to deliver soil and water conservation services to their communities. Grant funds support and increase local capacity to implement programs and, provide cost-share with landowners who install conservation practices on their land to benefit state water and soil resources.
Biennial Budget Request
The Biennial Budget Request is a process to coordinate all grants that BWSR manages that protect, restore and enhance Minnesota's water and related land resources. This Initiative will result in increased efficiency in BWSR grant programs, provide information to support State budget processes, and encourage improved local government water quality project planning.
More information available on the Biennial Budget Request page.
Grant Administration Manual
BWSR Grant Administration Manual: Comprehensive instruction manual with administrative requirements for BWSR grant recipients.
Apply for Grants
Recent Requests for Proposals and other guidance for grant applicants is on the Apply for BWSR Grants page.
Constitutional Amendment Funding
Minnesota voters approved the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment in 2008 to increase the state sales tax and dedicate the funding for natural resources and cultural heritage. Reports on these expenditures will be published by the Legislative Coordinating Commission.
- BWSR Clean Water Fund page
- Minnesota Constitution (see Article 11, Section 15)
- Clean Water Council
- Lessard Sams Outdoor Heritage Council
- Overview of Local Government Units and Partner Agencies
- Soil and Water Conservation District websites
- Watershed District websites
- Area II Minnesota River Basin Projects, Inc.
- Red River Basin Board (International)
- Red River Watershed Management Board (Minnesota)
- Disaster Recovery Assistance Program
- Clean Water Fund Competitive Grants
- State Conservation Cost-Share
- Cooperative Weed Management Area Grant Program
- Native Buffer Grant Program
- Natural Resources Block Grant (NRBG)
- SWCD Conservation Delivery
- SWCD RIM Services Grants
- Information about projects funded through the Legacy Amendment are available at our Clean Water Stories page.
- Go to eLINK Information Page (BWSR tool for tracking local outcomes of conservation practices)
- Pollution Reduction Estimates Reported By Grant Recipients
Resources for Grantees
- Financial Pitfalls - Common Issues Administering BWSR Grants (posted Oct. 20, 2014)
- BWSR Grant Program Reporting Overview
- State Cost-Share Manual and Policy
- What's Working - Comments from grant recipients and other conservation professionals
- Native vegetation establishment resources
Other funding sources:
Minnesota Conservation Funding Guide: Information on Conservation Practices and Payment Rates, Produced by the Minnesota Department of Agriculture