Minnesota Public Drainage Manual Update
Summary of the Minnesota Public Drainage Manual Update Project
- BWSR received a legislative appropriation and direction in the FY14-15 biennium to update the Minnesota Public Drainage Manual (MPDM) and the Understanding Minnesota Public Drainage Law (UMPDL) document.
- The 4 original and 3 additional objectives (paraphrased) for the MPDM include:
- promote uniformity in the interpretation of Minnesota drainage law, without speculating as to what drainage law ought to say;
- inform about the interaction between drainage law and other laws, state and federal;
- suggest uniform procedures for implementing drainage law statewide;
- provide standardized forms for use in drainage proceedings;
- create a web-based, user-friendly and easily updated version;
- provide enhance guidance related to multipurpose water management considerations and authorities in drainage law;
- provide guidance in a new chapter regarding implementation of BMPs for drainage projects and systems.
- Through an RFP process, BWSR contracted with the team of Houston Engineering, Inc. and Rinke Noonan Attorneys to update the MPDM and integrate the UMPDL document.
- A Project Advisory Committee (PAC), with Subcommittees for Chapters 2, 3, 4 and new Chapter 5, has been established to help provide broad stakeholder perspective in the MPDM update process.
- The updated MPDM will be internet accessible and searchable via the BWSR website.
The additional objectives include updating the MPDM to reflect changes in drainage law and associated law since the document was first published in 1991.
Stakeholder Input Opportunities
There are two major ways for organizations to input into the process: (1) Stakeholder Focus Groups and (2) the Project Advisory Committee and it's associated Chapter subcommittees. Those opportunities are explained in the following documents:
Overview of Stakeholder Input Opportunities and Addendum to the Overview of Stakeholder Input Opportunities
Stakeholder Focus Groups and Stakeholder Questionnaire
- MPDM Update Project Focus Group Outline
- MPDM Update Project Focus Group Stakeholder Questionnaire: *New deadline for submittal of Stakeholder Focus Group Questionnaire: EOD, January 9, 2015.
Project Advisory Committee
Look for further updates on the process here.
Drainage Records Database Project (DRDP)
Targeted Drainage Water Management Grant Program Resources
This list of resources is for Grantees, Landowners, and/or Technical Service Providers (TSPs) developing Drainage Water Management Plans (DWMPs) and implementing DWM practices through the Targeted Drainage Water Management Grant Program (TDWMGP). This program has been coordinated with applicable USDA-NRCS conservation practice standards and conservation activity plans.
Resources from BWSR
The TDWMGP is one of the BWSR Clean Water Fund grant programs and uses the policies and procedures from the BWSR: FY 2013 Clean Water Fund Competitive Grants Policy
Specific TDWMGP guidance is available in the: FY2013 Clean Water Fund Targeted Drainage Water Management Grants Program Description
Questions and Answers about Drainage Water Management: Drainage Water Management for the Midwest
Targeted DWM Brochure: BWSR Conservation Drainage Program: Drainage Water Management Grants FY 2013
BWSR Example of...
Resources from NRCS
The TDWMGP uses applicable NRCS Conservation Activity Plans (CAPs), Conservation Practices (CPs) and associated forms. Due to differences with roles and responsibilities between NRCS and the Local Government Units participating in the TDWMGP, some documents have been revised accordingly for TDWMGP use.
- NRCS Minnesota Criteria for Drainage Water Management Plan (CAP 130)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Drainage Water Management Implementation (CP 554)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Structure for Water Control (CP 587)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Vegetated Subsurface Drain Outlet (CP 739)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Denitrifying Bioreactor (CP 747)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Subsurface Drain (CP 606) - For Alternative Tile Inlets
- NRCS Criteria for Nutrient Management Plan (CAP 104)
- NRCS Conservation Practice - Nutrient Management Implementation (CP 590)
Drainage Management Team
Inter-agency group that provides information and assistance to drainage authorities (more information)
Drainage Work Group
The Drainage Work Group was first established as a stakeholder group to advise the preparation the Public Drainage Ditch Buffer Study, which was published by BWSR in February 2006. This Study Work Group discussed a range of topics regarding buffer strips and drainage and developed a number of consensus recommendations, which are presented in Section 6 of the study report. In 2006, the Study Work Group agreed to continue to meet as the stakeholder Drainage Work Group (DWG), with continued facilitation provided by the BWSR.
- Redetermination of Benefits and Damages Brochure
- Drainage Work Group overview / membership
- Fact Sheet
- Meeting notes
- DWG discussion topics and consensus recommendations
- Redetermination of Benefits Survey - Presentation by Minnesota River Board Executive Director Shannon Fisher (Sept. 9, 2010)
- Study of Riparian Buffer Areas - Report to the Legislature, required by Minn. Laws 2008 Chapter 88 (posted Feb. 26, 2010)
Buffer Strip Reporting
In 2007, the Minnesota Legislature added Section 103E.067 to drainage law, requiring drainage authorities to submit a report to the Board of Water and Soil Resources providing information regarding public drainage buffer strip establishment and inspection.
- 2014 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts (posted 03/09/2015)
- 2013 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/06/15
- 2012 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/06/15
- 2011 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/06/15
- 2010 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/05/15
- 2009 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/05/15
- 2008 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/05/15
- 2007 Results Reported by Counties and Watershed Districts Revised 03/05/12
- 2006 Public Drainage Ditch Buffer Study
Technical Information and Resources
- Water Management Options for Subsurface Drainage Briefing Paper #2 (posted May 2012)
- Water Management Options for Subsurface Drainage Briefing Paper #2 PowerPoint Presentation (posted May 2012)
- Minnesota Drainage Law Analysis and Evaluation (posted August 2011)
- Minnesota Statutes 103E
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture - Drainage
- Conservation Drainage Practices for Agriculture - presentation by Joel Peterson, BWSR, at the Minnesota Association of Watershed Districts annual meeting (December 2009)
- Intensified Tile Drainage Evaluation - presentation by Rick Moore, Minnesota State University - Mankato, Water Resources Center
- Fingerprinting Sources of Suspended Sediments - presentation by Shawn Schottler, St. Croix Watershed Research Station, Department of the Science Museum of Minnesota
- Lateral Effects Training Documents - training provided by BWSR staff through the Wetland Delineator Certification Program
Drainage Records Modernization
- Drainage Records Modernization Guidelines
- Powerpoint Presentation - Overview of Drainage Records Mondernization Guidelines
- Powerpoint Presentation - Drainage Records Mondernization Guidelines
Tools for Wetland Determination - Scope and Effect
- Drainage Setback Guidance (posted 10/18/2013)